Joaquin

Joaquin was born in Mexico and moved to Texas by himself as a youth. After finishing school he moved from place to place, struggling to keep a job. He often found himself on the wrong side of the law and spent several periods in jail for things ranging from loitering to being falsely accused of breaking into a building. From Texas, he moved to Georgia, and then after a run in with immigration officials, he was mysteriously dropped off in Utah where he has been for the last 3 years.

As I talked with him, I struggled to understand his mumbled and broken English mixed with Spanish. However, I was immediately impressed with how friendly and sweet he was despite the many struggles he had faced in his life. He talked at length about how he always tried to serve people before asking for their charity. He spoke of volunteering at churches and soup kitchens before receiving himself the clothes or food that was being distributed. He also confided in us his constant fear of the police, and how he tried to keep on the move as much as he could to avoid attracting attention. When asked about family and friends he sorrowfully admitted that he had no one.
As we said our goodbyes, he loaded up his sleeping bag and 3 grocery sacks holding his few belongings and moved on to the next place where he might rest for a while. It made me look with new eyes at my comfortable car and loving family that I so easily take for granted. Although our little gift of snacks and hygiene supplies won't make much of a difference, I hope we left him feeling a little bit happier and more encouraged than we found him. The more I learn about these people who have fallen through the cracks of society, the more I feel inadequate and powerless to make any significant difference. Yet, I know that even small steps move me in the right direction. If all of us make a small difference, then amazing things can be done together!

This kit delivery was made possible by a donation from: Dan Moyes, Schertz, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment